Saturday, August 18, 2007

Blogging Our Progress

I need to "let go" about blogging. Sometimes I just stop blogging about the project, because so much is happening around me with it and I haven't fully processed it yet. But by not blogging about the developments, I know I'm missing a key aspect of blogging : )

Within the last week:

- I was in NOLA again with Sam and Ingrid. We mapped three more neighborhoods: St. Roch Bend, Filmore Gardens, Mirabeau Gardens. We also finished mapping the other half of the Sugar Hill neighborhood. About 1/3 of Gentilly has been remapped this summer. The cool thing is the resident participation. Most of the mapping is done by the residents who join us - like Claire, K.C., and Kathi.

Within the past few days:

- The project is going to be integrated with one - possibly two - courses at the University of New Orleans.

- I'm exploring some synergies with my colleague Andy King at the Tuck School. In interesting and productive ways, both of our projects will benefit from increased coordination and sharing of resources.

- A potential partnership with the OneTorch organization is moving very rapidly ahead, based on some developments on Wednesday night.


I welcome comments on the blog. Honestly, your posts remind me that I should be telling you more : )

4 Comments:

Blogger sheron said...

I am sure I am not alone when I say I look forward to reading your updates on the Gentilly Project. Many of us cannot be there with you right now. But we feel we are sharing the Gentilly Project experience with you as we read your blog. I too tell others about the project, and I look forward to physically being there mapping, or volunteering in other ways. And, Quintus, your energy regarding this project and NO is truly infectious.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Quintus Jett said...

Thanks, Sheron : )

There is truly a lot to share. I've experienced much that has grown my faith and trust in what is possible.

I'd be delighted with you and others joining me in New Orleans to map, and I welcome any way that you can participate.

It's fun sometimes to learn how someone has been following the project and helping me in some subtle or significant way without my knowledge!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in one of the two classes that gets the opportunity to work on the Gentilly Project this semester and am excited about all that we will learn outside of the classroom. Are there similar projects going on throughout the city? If so, what areas? Do you know of any projects in Central City?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Quintus Jett said...

thanks for writing. it's great having you and others at UNO participating for the term.

i've seen other kinds of mapping projects in the city, those from the neighborhood and non-profit worlds to those conducted by government agencies. and even businesses. i haven't heard of anything specific in central city.

as you will see this term, this project is bit different in terms of its scale and scope, and it has implications for residential and economic development beyond NOLA

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home